I ran across my very first slow cooker cookbook while going through my cookbooks. It was included as a gift with my first (and current) slow cooker. I tried many recipes in this book but when faced with this book again all I could remember was one: Italian Chicken with White Beans. The kids ate it as babies and my husband and I always enjoyed it.
The slow cooker is what got me cooking in those early days. And when I started back at work after Little D was born, my husband found it easy to make slow cooker meals. This is one meal that really works well in the crock pot — and it’s so easy with few ingredients.
I don’t know why I stopped making this dish but I think that’s just what happens, kind of like finding an old outfit you love but no longer wear because it was hidden deep in your closet. When I resurrected this meal, I expected a cold reception from the kids but Big A immediately said “This is good chicken, mom.” I wanted to kiss her!
This is going in the rotation for sure. Below is the recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Simple Slow Cooker Recipes. Anyone finding old favorites they want to resurrect?
- Medium onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1½ cup carrots, sliced
- ½ cup celery, thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 15 ounce can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Chop vegetables, mince the garlic and place in a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix garlic, salt, tomatoes, chicken broth and Italian seasoning in a medium bowl and stir. Pour this mixture over the chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook on low setting for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours (times vary depending on slow cooker).
- When done, turn off and add the beans and cover for about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon and top with as much of the cooking liquid as desired. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Next post in the series: Meals 2 & 3: Tuna Noodle Casserole and Turkey Chili
Previous Post: 30 Meals in 30 Days: The Plan