I was looking for an easy recipe to make for Little D’s kindergarten class. On Fridays they have fun centers and when I volunteer they put me at the cooking station. I wanted to pick something he likes so I thought about making homemade granola bars (he used to call them “rolly bars”). But I wanted few ingredients and I didn’t want to have to bake it.
I was intrigued by this no bake chocolate chip granola bar recipe on Laura’s Latest and decided to try it. It was so easy and really tasty. He kept asking for more which is a good sign. These are perfect for dessert or the occasional snack. Hopefully the rest of his class will think so!
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl add oats and cereal and set aside. Place butter, honey and brown sugar in a small sauce pan over med-high heat and cook until bubbling, stirring along the way.
- Turn down heat and cook 2 additional minutes. When done add the vanilla and stir.
- Add the heated mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until well combined. Press down mixture in a greased small jelly roll pan (I used 8×8 square pan). Top with chocolate chips.
- Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Cut and serve!