I have been seeing recipes with cauliflower used as the base for pizza crust for some time now. When I spotted this recipe on Super Healthy Kids Facebook Page, I knew I had to try it.
It was good! I put it out along with some other pizzas we were having. Anna gave it a medium to high thumbs up, Little D didn’t try it and both my husband and I liked it. I didn’t chop the cauliflower before steaming (I’m such a rebel) and it still turned out. I served it with this quick-made sauce adapted from Cooking Light’s Real Family Food.
For more details on the recipes (including step-by-step pictures) check out the original on Super Healthy Kids. Anyone cook with cauliflower this way?
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- Marinara Sauce
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Clean the cauliflower and chop into small pieces. Put into a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency.
- Boil about one inch of water in a large saucepan and then add the cauliflower, covering, for about 5 minutes (watch it). Strain with a mesh strainer and set aside to cool. Once cooled, squeeze as much water as you can out of the cauliflower using a clean dish towel.
- Preheat oven to 425F. In a large bowl place cauliflower and add ½ cup mozzarella, egg and spices. Mix well. Place the mixture on parchment paper with cooking spray and form a rectangle using your hands. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking make the sauce. Place the tomatoes, oil, dried oregano, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- After 30 minutes is reached, take out the cauliflower crust and add the rest of the Mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup) and put it back in the oven for another 7 to 10 minutes.
- Cut cauliflower into sticks and serve with the marinara sauce.