I was picking Big A up from a play date when her friend asked her mom what was for dinner. Her mom said “chicken and rice.” I left there thinking, I don’t have a chicken and rice dinner. I mean, I serve chicken and rice separately but not as a one-pot dish.
I finally tried it for dinner one night following this recipe on Crème de la Crumb. Although both my husband and Little D liked it, Big A (my chicken lover) thought it was too spicy. I used my homemade Italian seasoning which has red pepper. The other not-so-good part was the chicken was a bit dry. So it needed some work if I was to bring it into the rotation.
The next time I made it, I used some different spices and swapped out chicken breasts for skinless boneless chicken thighs. And it was perfecto — Big A approved and all. I could’ve thrown in the broccoli with it but instead, I steamed it on the side. I like steaming a lot of broccoli so I have some leftover to roast the next day. Have you ever roasted broccoli that has been steamed and sat in the fridge for a day or two? It’s AMAZING. Better than dessert…
Also, you can use brown rice for this recipe but you’ll need to adjust the cooking time. I like white rice for this dish (bad dietitian, I know).
I appreciate that this is a true 30-minute meal. Perfect for a workday or those nights you need to eat quickly before heading out to some activity.
Any chicken and rice lovers out there?
- 1½ to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or four chicken breasts pounded thin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2¼ chicken broth
- juice from 1 lemon
- In a large skillet or pan (with a lid) heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat (spread garlic around pan). Once the garlic sizzles, brown the chicken for 1-2 minute on each side.
- While the chicken is browning, quickly combine the spices in a cup and spread over chicken pieces. When you flip the chicken do the same on the other side. Remove the chicken from the pan and put on a plate.
- Add the rice, broth and lemon juice to the pan and stir. Place the chicken back in the pan, cover and turn down heat to medium-low cooking for about 20-25 minutes or until the liquid dissolves and chicken is cooked through.