Most people understand that eating plants are good for health. But knowing this may not be enough to make plant foods a regular and rewarding part of you and your family’s life.
In episode 12 of The Healthy Family Podcast, we are talking about the key to eating more plant foods: falling in love with them. During October (vegetarian month), I spoke with Sharon Palmer, The Plant-Powered Dietitian. She shows us what “plant power” is all about and how these amazing foods make life better, more delicious, and healthier.
Sharon is a registered dietitian and accomplished writer on food and environmental issues. Her expertise is plant-based nutrition and she is author of The Plant-Powered Diet and Plant-Powered for Life. She is also the editor of the acclaimed health newsletter Environmental Nutrition, and nutrition editor for Today’s Dietitian. Sharon regularly appears in the media as a nutrition expert and presents on food and nutrition at national venues.
Highlights from the Show
- How Sharon became known as the Plant-Powered Dietitian.
- Why more and more chefs are focusing on colorful vibrant plant foods (There are over 40,000 edible plants after all).
- How to avoid overwhelm when cooking plant foods by combining shelf-stable items with fresh produce.
- The first of Sharon’s 52 steps to a plant powered life: make your goal and try it for a week.
- Sharon’s take on diets/tends that encourage people to exclude grains and legumes
- The truth about plant foods, anti-nutrients, coconut oil, and health.
- How to choose the best olive oil, store it and cook with it.
- What smoke point is and how it applies to oils, especially olive oil.
- Plant myths that drive Sharon crazy.
- Sharon’s tips for encouraging children to enjoy more plant foods.
- The importance of omega-3 fatty acids (different types) and whether or not vegans should take DHA supplements.
- Why more people are becoming “flexitarians” and how you can use it to eat more plant foods.
- How to take steps to enjoy cooking even when life gets crazy.
- Sharon’s “cook out of the refrigerator” strategy that helps her get meals on the table fast.
- Sharon favorite quick meal that’s perfect for this time of year.
If I were to offer one nugget of nutrition advice it would be to fall in love with plants. Because if you really, truly starting loving plants — craving their flavors, textures, aromas, and colors — they will start loving you back. –Sharon Palmer, Plant Powered for Life.
Connect with Sharon
Information on olive oil’s smoke point
Study on college students food preferences
What to Cook for Dinner with Kids (soon to be The Family Dinner Solution)
Like the Podcast?
Now that we are over 10 episodes strong, I’m looking to grow the podcast. You can help by leaving a rating or review on Itunes.
Subscribe via ITunes, Stitcher or RSS
Podcast Music: Corporate Uplifting by Scott Holmes
Leave a Reply