Kathy from Healthy Slow Cooking submitted this recipe for Butternut Squash & Chickpea soup. Check out her site, it is full of healthy, vegetarian slow cooker meals.
She says this soup is perfect for picky eaters because it’s served pureed. I know my 3-year old runs from chunks of anything so we’ll give it a try. To make this recipe even easier you could use squash already cut up.
Have a great weekend!
- 2 cups butternut squash, frozen, or raw (peeled and seeded of course)
- 1-14 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1-14 oz can organic crushed tomatoes (diced or stewed works fine too)
- 1 cup bell pepper strips (fresh or frozen works fine)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs Better than Bouillon chicken-less flavor – or omit and use broth instead of water
- 5 cups filtered water
- 1 Tbs port wine
- ½ cup sautéed mushrooms
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- 1 Tbs Italian seasoning blend
- The night before: Peel, seed, and chop the butternut squash. Slice mushrooms, mince garlic and chop green peppers.
- In the morning: Throw everything into your slow cooker and cook for 6 – 8 hours on low.
- Taste and add more herbs or port wine. Puree with an immersion blender and serve.
For more easy recipes and tips on how to serve meals to kids, check out Maryann’s book The Family Dinner Solution: How to Create a Rotation of Dinner Meals Your Family Will Love
Leave a Reply