The grill is a great option for easy summer meals. So when fellow RD Toby Amidor offered one of her tasty recipes from her new cookbook out July 31st, Smart Meal Prep for Beginners, I jumped at the chance.
This recipe for Grilled Chicken with Carrot-Cabbage Slaw hits the spot. The rub is easy and requires no extra time marinating. I’ve been looking for a yogurt-based dressing to make coleslaw and this one has the perfect blend of flavors. I usually get the premixed kale and cabbage slaw and add grated carrots. I plan to try it on Mexican night and substitute cilantro for basil.
Check out Toby Amidor’s cookbook Smart Meal Prep for Beginners, which provides recipes and a 6-week plan aimed to make meal prep a weekly habit. Toby provides step-by-step guidance to take the guesswork out of prepping and planning meals. Do the work ahead of time and you’ll have a fridge full of tasty and nutritious food. Enjoy!
- For the chicken
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 (5-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Herb Yogurt Dressing
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 scallion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the slaw
- 4 cups shredded red or green cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 4 medium carrots, trimmed, peeled, and shredded
- 4 servings (1/2 cup) Herb-Yogurt Dressing (recipe below)
- To make the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 375-degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, paprika, mustard powder, and salt. Using clean hands, pat the dry rub over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breast and cook, flipping once, until browned on both sides, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to an 8-by-8-inch baking dish and place in the oven for about 15 minutes until the chicken reaches a minimum internal cooking temperature of 165-degrees Fahrenheit. Set the chicken aside to cool. Once cooled, slice each chicken breast into thin strips.
- To make the Herb-Yogurt Dressing
- In a blender, process the yogurt, basil, parsley, scallion, oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt together until smooth.
- Transfer the dressing to a container, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using. Yields 1¼ cups.
- To make the slaw
- To make the slaw, mix together the shredded cabbage and carrots in a medium bowl. Add ½ cup of the Herb-Yogurt Dressing and toss to combine.
- Into each of 4 containers, place 2 cups of slaw and top with 1 sliced chicken breast.
- To store, place airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To freeze, place the chicken only in freezer-safe containers for up to 2 months. To defrost, refrigerate overnight. The chicken can be eaten cold with the slaw. Alternatively, reheat individual servings uncovered in the microwave on high for about 45 seconds.
Photo credit: Elysa Weitala