With the holiday season and cold weather officially here, this recipe for slow cooker turkey chili comes in handy. It’s easy to prepare and it’s a complete meal. I like to serve it with various toppings like shredded cheese, sliced avocado and sides of toasted bread and fruit.
It bothered me that I didn’t have a go-to recipe for chili that I loved. So I worked on this one and came up with this nice combo of ingredients I usually have on hand. I really like it and so does the rest of the family. It’s not spicy but full of flavor. Of course, If you like it hotter, you can always tweak the seasonings.
But what I like about chili is it tastes even better the next day.
Do you have a favorite chili?
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey or other ground meat
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (optional as seasoning has garlic powder)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 TBS homemade taco seasoning mix
- Taco seasoning mix
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix the ingredients for taco seasoning mix in an empty container (can double the recipe). Mix well.
- Heat oil over medium heat and add chopped onions for 2-3 minutes. Add meat and cook until browned. Add garlic the last minute of cooking.
- Drain fat from meat mixture and place in a slow cooker. Add the drained beans, tomato sauce, broth and seasoning mix.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours and low 6-8.