I’ve been making lentil and brown rice casserole for years. But it’s the kind of meal I’d take long breaks from and then make it again and wonder why I stopped.
What’s amazing about this recipe is you can tweak it anyway you want. Add more veggies, different spices, and vary the cheese. Whatever you like. Keep it simple for the kids or spice it up.
It’s one of those recipes that is quick to make but takes a while in the oven, making it good for an afternoon you’re home or on the weekend.
Here’s how making it goes…
First I mince the garlic, chop the onion and green pepper. I add that to a 9×11 glass baking dish along with rice and lentils and spices.
Then I add the canned tomatoes and broth and stir. In the oven (covered) it goes.
After an hour or so, I top with cheese and put back in for about 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
Time cooking will vary depending on the oven. I have a “hot oven” so even just an hour is enough but to be safe I cook it for 1 hour and 15 minutes. It will be hot so let it sit out for 5-10 minutes.
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup lentils
- ¾ cup brown rice
- 1 Tbs. taco seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups broth (veggie or chicken)
- 14 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes (undrained)
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
- cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Put chopped veggies in a 9x11 dish with the rice, lentils, and spices.
- Add tomatoes and broth and stir until ingredients mixed.
- Cover with foil and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes (watch it as cooking times may vary).
- Remove from the oven and top with cheese. Put back in the oven for 5 more minutes until cheese melts. Top with cilantro if desired.
For more easy recipes check out Maryann’s book The Family Dinner Solution: How to Create a Rotation of Dinner Meals Your Family Will Love