I put the ingredients in the rice cooker, gave the kids a bath, and then added the last ingredients and it was done in the next 10-15 minutes. I served it with garlicky green beans and some fruit.
It was really good! Big A doesn’t really eat mac and cheese but Little D loved it. This is great for a weekend when you want something a little indulgent or perfect when babysitters are feeding the kids.
Here’s the recipe adapted from Weelicious.
- 2 cups macaroni (or any pasta)
- 1.5 cups chicken broth (used reduced sodium)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1.5 cup cheese of choice (used grated cheddar)
- 1 cup of frozen peas or chopped broccoli (optional)
- Turn the rice cooker on. Add the macaroni, chicken broth and salt and close the lid.
- After 15 minutes open the lid and add the rest of the ingredients (stir it up) and cook for another 10-20 minutes (check on it because rice cookers vary-- do more time if you want a crust on the bottom).
Of course, you can get creative with this and add different ingredients to suit your taste. I’m just excited to have another use for the rice cooker.