My husband likes meat. When I asked him what he thought about me making pulled pork sandwiches for dinner he got all excited.
This one comes from my new favorite cookbook, No Whine with Dinner. I love that most of the recipes in this book are easy and have added nutrition where you wouldn’t expect it. This one is made with carrots and bell pepper for a nice dose of vitamins A and C.
This is also made in the slow cooker so it’s perfect for a workday. I served it with baked fries and some fruit. And get this. Big A, my 4-year old, ate half a sandwich! Everyone enjoyed this meal and it couldn’t be easier. (sorry for the bad picture — I realized halfway through the meal that I hadn’t taken a picture yet so this is a second serving!)
If you try it, let me know what you think.
- 2.5 pounds pork loin, trimmed of fat and cut into 3 pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded (1 cup)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, cut into half and sliced into ½-inch wedges
- 12-ounce jar barbecue sauce
- 8 whole-wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- Add the pork, carrots, bell pepper, onion, and barbecue sauce to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low until the pork is tender 6-8 hours.
- When the meat is done, remove it from the slow cooker and place it on a cutting board. Use two forks to pull the meat into shredded pieces.
- Stir the meat back into the slow cooker until it is well combined with the sauce (the veggies will disintegrate into the sauce). Divide the pork mixture evenly between the hamburger buns and serve.