[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/5109058/height/200/width/550/theme/standard/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/autoplay/no/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/forward/” height=”200″ width=”550″]
I believe everyone needs to find the right fit when it comes to cooking and preparing food for themselves and their family. And choosing the right mindset is a good place to start.
In today’s show, we have Katie Morford, a registered dietitian, writer, recipe developer and mom to three girls. She writes the blog Mom’s Kitchen Handbook and is the author of Best Lunch Box Ever: Ideas and Recipes for School Lunches Kids Will Love. Her second book, Rise and Shine: Better Breakfasts for Busy Mornings, was published in August of last year.
Katie and I discuss The Cooking Mindset — how the outlook we have about cooking effects everything we do (or don’t do) in the kitchen. Katie shares her beliefs about cooking from the perspective of someone who grew up in a family of cooks. She says cooking and a love of food is in her family’s gene pool. I’m hoping some of that rubs off on me!
Highlights from the Show:
- Katie reveals the mindset she believes holds people back in the kitchen, and the one that makes cooking flourish
- How expectations of what meals “should” look like keep people from experimenting and having fun in the kitchen
- How to take dinner from complicated to easy
- Myths about cooking professionals like herself (hint: they don’t always want to cook either!)
- How she approaches cooking, meal planning, and meals with her own three children
- The best place inexperienced cooks can start to learn about cooking
- Katie’s go-to meals and the new kitchen gadget she says is a miracle worker
The Cooking Mindset According to Katie
I want to do something creative and delicious as opposed to I have do this thing I don’t want to do and now I have to go do it.
Pertinent Show Links
Katie’s books: Best Lunch Box Ever and Rise and Shine: Better Breakfasts for Busy Mornings
Katie’s recommended “starter” cookbook: Learning to Cook with Marion Cunningham
Katie’s favorite kitchen tool: Instant Pot
Recipes mentioned in the podcast: