I thought it would be appropriate for my first post of the New Year to be a vegetable dish. I’ve been wanting to try this one for a while now after seeing it on one of my favorite food blogs — Weekly Bite. Estela is so creative with food ideas for kids.
This turned out great! I offered it as a pre-dinner appetizer and Little D ate one and Big A nibbled (that is good for her!). I doubled the recipe because I have found that half bags of anything in my freezer tend not to get used or thrown out.
This makes a great finger food or as a snack or a side with dinner. Anyone else making something like this?
- 16 oz bag of frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, corn, green beans, & lima beans)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook veggies according to package directions and let cool.
- Place veggies in a food processor and pulse a few times with over-processing.
- In a large bowl, combine veggies, bread crumbs, egg, salt, garlic powder, lemon juice, and olive oil. Mix well using the back of your spoon to continue to mash the veggies.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and use a small scooper to make a small ball and then use your hands to form mixture into nugget size (I think mine were too big). Line on to baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes -- flip nuggets halfway through cooking (after 20 minutes).
For more easy recipes and tips on how to serve meals to kids, check out Maryann’s book The Family Dinner Solution: How to Create a Rotation of Dinner Meals Your Family Will Love
Estela @ Weekly Bite says
I’m so glad your children like the veggie nuggets! It’s one of my daughter’s favorite foods 🙂
I’ve never make anything like this, but I’ve looked for something like it, so I’ll think I’ll give it a try. I also found this recipe over the weekend and I think it sounds like one the kiddos might like. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crazy-curly-broccoli-bake-kid-friendly/detail.aspx
Hope you had a nice holiday season, Maryann. I did, but I sure am glad the routine started back up today. 🙂
Sally Kuzemchak says
These look great and very easy. Definitely plan to try these. THANKS!
These look good! We make veggie nuggets in our house with broccoli, carrots, garlic, and sharp cheddar, coated in panko and baked. They’re really good and can stand in for a “main meal” as well. Hm…haven’t made those in a long time…thanks for reminding me!
Maryann Tomovich Jacobsen, MS, RD says
Bri — that sounds really good. Will have to try it!
Thanks Goodfountain. Just saved that recipe too. And, yes, I too am glad to get back into the routine.
Alice Callahan (@scienceofmom) says
Definitely going to have to try this recipe. These look delicious, and as you know, I’m always excited about getting more veggies into my kid’s meals! I also love recipes like this that I can make and freeze. It seems like the kind of thing that would freeze well – then thaw quickly and crisp up in the toaster oven.
That dish looks and sounds divine.
@Bri do you have a recipe for the nuggets that you make? They sound good!
I am very excited to try this recipe! We are vegetarian so this should be a winner in our family 🙂
@ bri I would also like to get ur recipe, the cheesy effect founds really yum!