I love Greek food. We have a family-owned restaurant nearby that we love to visit and the chicken and pita bread is amazing.
I’ve been playing around with these Greek pitas for some time and finally got to the point where I’m able to confidently say “these are good!”
I like that they are easy to serve family-style with pitas, veggies, chicken and usually some fruit on the side. I love that the chicken cooks in the slow cooker so all I have to do is prep the tzatziki sauce and veggies. I also put out hummus with this meal because Little D isn’t a chicken fan (yet) and usually likes stuffing his pita with hummus.
Have a great weekend!
- 1 pound chicken thighs or breasts
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ½ cup broth
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped or sliced in wedges
- ⅓ to ½ cup feta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 tsp vinegar mix
- Whole wheat pita bread
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, add the spices, broth and lemon juice and mix. Pour on top of chicken and cook 5-7 hours on low or 3-5 on high (cooking times vary based on slow cooker).
- When you're ready to start the sides, heat oven to 200F and wrap the pitas in foil and put in the oven.
- Cut tomatoes and onion and place in a medium bowl. Top with feta cheese. Make vinegar mix by whisking olive oil, vinegar, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Add as much as needed to tomato mixture reserving at least 1 tsp.
- In a separate bowl, add and stir yogurt, chopped cucumber and 1 tsp vinegar mix.
- Place chicken in a serving bowl and cut into chunks, topping with the leftover juices. Take pitas out of the oven and place on a plate. Place all food items on the table for serving. Put out extra tomatoes and lettuce for anyone (kids!) that may like their veggies plain.
For more easy recipes and tips on how to serve meals to kids, check out Maryann’s book The Family Dinner Solution: How to Create a Rotation of Dinner Meals Your Family Will Love
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) says
These sound delicious! I’m a Greek food lover myself 🙂